Thursday, October 10, 2013

What's the Plan?


Planning, data, and organization are things every SLP can love and battle with all at once. We LOVE to have a functional system, but often struggle with how time consuming and effortful they can become. Today I thought I would share with you my planning binder and data collection system. For starters, I keep all of my student data in binders grouped by grade level. Each binder has a tab for the student’s name, an attendance log, a copy of their IEP goals,, data sheets (link below), and a folder pocket to store student materials/work. I keep all of my data on address labels so that I can quickly store the data after each session and also avoid having a million papers in front of me during therapy.

Now, for the planning. This is something I really struggled with my first year, got better at my second year, and now am actually enjoying this year. Here’s the cover of my planning binder:



Pretty simple. Just a little scrapbook paper and my schedule.  When you open the binder, you’ll see the lesson/activity pages. They look like this:


The format includes time, name, current goals for the quarter, and a place for me to write my plans/activities.  Like this:




This format gives me a quick way to reference current student objectives and also space for quick notes over what I’d like to cover during the session. I always keep the copy of the previous week’s plan in back to reference and a blank week of plans behind the current week. That way if I think of something that I want to cover the following week/session, I have a way to note and remember it.After my planning pages, I keep the following:

A folder pocket of blank labels



A folder pocket of  pre-made labels made for articulation students and preschool language group.  You can find the link to these at the bottom.




Upcoming plans for language group and grading/accuracy charts.




As far as data collection and data sheets go, I keep my data on address labels (the size that fits 30 labels per page). This allows me enough space to make a quick note of our activity and to keep tallies/pluses/dashes for accuracy.  My data sheets look like this:



I have templates for students that have one goal, two goals, and three goals, and the address labels will fit in each. I like this format because I am able to get a quick check over what has been targeted more frequently/recently and I can then balance out my therapy activities appropriately.  I also have an anecdotal data log that I can use when I feel I might need more space to jot notes.

The downside to this format is that it can use a bit more paper and the address labels are not always cost effective (I have my school secretary purchase them for a discounted price through an office supplier and use part of my school budget). However, I will say that this structure has worked extremely well for me in allowing me to be organized, efficient, and without shuffling many papers during a session.

I’ve included blank documents for you try and use. I hope you find them helpful!


1 comment:

  1. Thank for your share. It's so useful, i know plan more. I hope you will follow me at quà tặng tết. Thank again with love.

    ReplyDelete