Monday, January 14, 2013

I'm back!

        I don't know about you, but I am glad to be back in a routine again. I loved traveling over the Holidays (back to Iowa to see my family and out to visit my boyfriend in New Jersey), but it is so nice to have a sense of normal. I had every intention of doing a "back to school" post last week, but before I knew it, the week was over! Ahh! I guess that's just life though!

        Anyways, I have a new game for you today! It's inspired (or "pinspired" I should say...haha) from this post right here:  http://preschoollessonplans.info/1484/snowman-color-matching/
Not only did I find it cute, but I thought it would be great to address a variety of goals, particularly with my preschool students. So, after a little work and frustration with computer graphics, I made my own version. We played it today in speech and I have to say, it turned out great! To add some extra excitement to the activity, I used my Image Spinner app (FREE!) to start off each turn. I like the Image Spinner because I can upload pictures to make it unique to the activity. I can also add audio. You can modify the spinner to just have audio if you're working on receptive vocabulary, too. Here's what the activity looked like in my room today:

I loved that I was able to target a variety of goals with this activity. Here are some ways I used this game today:
- as a basic reinforcement game
- identification of colors and color matching (also the concepts of same and different)
- answering yes/no questions ("Does your snowman need mittens?")
- answering wh- questions ("Where does the scarf go?")
- requesting in phrases ("I need a hat")
- expanding phrases (adding color words to nouns i.e., yellow boots)
- understanding of winter clothing vocabulary

        This activity was also great for a couple of my friends who are working on increasing intelligibility within a carrier phrase! I've attached the game for you below and I hope you enjoy it. The last page of the document has clothing items in gray in case you want to make your own spinner!  Let me know what you think!

Snowman Game

No comments:

Post a Comment